The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

Photo by Tiffany Tertipes on Unsplash

Meet your ballot

A breakdown on some of the key issues on the ballot this year

Every vote is important, and Loudoun’s share of District 10 is 52.75%. More than double the number of voters reside in Loudoun than in the district’s other counties. 

Loudoun’s voice is necessary, and being aware of the questions presented on your ballot is key for navigating Election Day. 

Sample ballots are available online and allow you to get a sense of what is on the ballot.

The ballots ask how the money should be spent because the projects will be created no matter how you vote. 

What you do get to decide is should Loudoun go into debt to realize these plans? Or should the plans be pushed away and completed on a smaller budget and scale so that the county does not go into debt?

Making a decision may feel difficult, so here is a run down of the issues being proposed on this year’s ballot.

School projects

One of the first questions for Loudoun’s ballot asks voters whether the county should go into debt to put money into various school projects. If Loudoun were to go into debt to complete these projects, it would cost an estimated $268 million. 

The creation of Dulles North High School would provide a two-story school built to suit the needs of 2,100 students.

Valley Service Center Traffic Signal would create an intersection outside of the Valley Service Center and the entrance to Harmony Middle School and Kenneth Culbert Elementary School. 

Renovations on Park View High School would include improvements to the current high school and the growth of William Obediah Robey High School.

School security improvements, as well as renewals and alternation to LCPS Facilities, make an appearance in light of local and national news.

Public Facility Projects

A second ballot question presents the topic of public safety facilities. If the county were to go into debt to follow-through with these projects, the cost would be $74.7 million. 

The creation of a replacement station for Fire and Rescue Station #04, the Roundhill Fire Station, would allow for a more spacious location for workers.

Public safety facilities approved in the County’s Capital Improvement Program would include additions such as an expansion to the Fire and Rescue Training Facility.

A Western Loudoun Recreation Center would provide various facilities, such as classrooms, administrative office spaces and a fitness center. 

Additional projects falling under the Public Facility Projects budget would include parks, recreational facilities and community center projects. These include tasks such as the Broad Run Stream Valley Linear Park and Fields Farm Park. 

Transportation Projects 

The last question on the ballot proposes the final topic of Transportation Projects. If the county were to go into debt for this project, it would cost $51.3 million. 

A four-lane median-divided road between Sycolin Road and the Dulles Greenway Interchange is a proposed project. It would be called the Crosstrail Blvd. and span 2,700 linear feet. 

The creation of multiple roundabouts would aid the flow of traffic in various areas across the county. A roundabout at Route 15 and Braddock Road would help with the flow of commuter and local traffic, and a roundabout at Route 50 and Everfield Drive would be more beneficial to the surrounding area than a traffic signal. 

Route 7 Improvements Phase 2 would include changes to the Route 7 and Route 690 Interchange to decrease traffic congestion

Phase 3 of this plan would include changes between Route 9 and the Dulles Greenway. Three lanes would be added, widening Route 9. 

An overpass across Sterling Boulevard at the W&OD Trail would create a bridge for bikers and pedestrians, allowing for safer travel and less interaction with vehicle traffic.

Further projects as approved by the County’s Capital Improvement Program would include improvements to sections such as the Blue Ridge Mountain and Raven Rocks intersection along Route 7 or additions like the Western Loudoun Park and Ride Lot.

The Viking • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal