The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

Photo by Sydney Nassif

Dear seniors

The sigh after college applications are submitted is often one of relief. However, after that moment has passed, the panic hitsas well as the ultimate question: what if I don’t get accepted?
Graduated senior Isla Williams faced this worry in the 21-22 school year when she applied to colleges and had to wait for her acceptance letter. 

Though the month of December can be long, for Williams the application process was the hardest part.

“Be on the lookout for scholarship opportunities,” she said, advising seniors on how to spend those weeks of waiting. “They make a big difference in tuition.”

Williams also recommended something that may be even more challenging: relaxing.

Senior year is a lighter course load for many, but taking a step back can still be hard. For others, “senioritis” has set in, making school and finding motivation difficult.

To those struggling with senior year, Williams encouraged pushing through it. 

“It’s a real struggle,” she said. “But set mini-goals for yourself to achieve big goals. My big goal was just making it to Capstone.” 

Williams did make it to Capstone, and she was accepted into her first choice college: University of Mary Washington. There, she intends to major in psychology with a minor in sports management, though the university doesn’t allow them to declare majors until sophomore year.

“College has been going really well for me,” Williams said. Due to proximity to her parents, she did not face too abrupt of a move from home to college. That isn’t to say, however, that Williams hasn’t experienced the quintessential ups and downs of college.

“The first six weeks are either gonna suck or be great,” Williams said. “For me, they sucked, but don’t give up hope.”

Williams reminded seniors going into college to be open to change and willing to find your people. 

“Go with the flow of things,” she said. “Try and get your work done as soon as you get it so that you have time for yourself, your friends and family.”

The Viking • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal