Lila Trochlil: A Musical Perspective

Emma Vann, Media & Opinion Editor

Sophomore Lila Trochlil is a child of a passionate musician. Her family’s love for music has helped her develop and expand this creative outlet.

Trochlil’s father was in a band, which inspired her at a young age and ultimately created a gateway for her love for guitar.

“I was very exposed to music as a kid. I think it was just rooted in me to be musically inclined in a way,” Trochlil said. “I’ve just been, throughout the years, realizing what direction I want to take with music. Recently, playing guitar has been the most fun for me.”

Trochlil looks up to her sister Claire, who is two years older than she is. When it comes to decision making, Trochlil shadows her sister, from hobbies to favorite artists.

“I was obsessed with One Direction growing up,” Trochlil said. “Again, Claire was obsessed with it first, and I just latched on to her and took it.”

Harry Styles is Trochlil’s favorite celebrity influencer.

“I just adore him in every way possible,” Trochlil said. “He’s a good reminder of what interests me, what makes me happy and what I believe in.” 

For Trochlil, listening to and playing music has helped express emotions that are impossible to say.

“Music is a great way to express yourself without having to say anything. Talking about your feelings can feel repetitive and in a sense of you’re not getting anywhere with it,” Trochlil said. “I feel like music can show you a new perspective of what you’ve been feeling or thinking.”

Sophomore Abby Lyons is Trochlil’s best friend. Over the past year, their friendship has been strengthened by their mutual love for music.

“Abby and I’s connection would be so different without music,” Trochlil said.  “We would just be casual friends. Music just connected us so deeply. It’s a great gateway to talk about other relevant things in our life and to be able to be emotionally vulnerable with each other in a very comfortable setting.”

Trochlil says she feels that communication through music is easier.

“Talking about emotions while being so direct and can be unsettling and uncomfortable,” Trochlil said. “I feel like music is a great way to do it metaphorically, in a way.”

“Talking about emotions while being so direct and can be unsettling and uncomfortable,” Trochlil said. “I feel like music is a great way to do it metaphorically, in a way.

Lyons says she thinks her and Trochlil’s relationship is natural, and they are compatible because of their love for music. 

“I have other friends I connect with, but I don’t necessarily analyze things, like music, in the way she and I do,” Lyons said. “It’s a personal connection without even having to talk to the other person. We just have this shared love for something, which I think is so cool.”

Trochlil says having a strong connection with friends and music is something she values and without it, there is no way to bond or communicate on a deeper level.

“Abby and I, we bond over music a lot, and she really helps me validate my feelings, in a way,” Trochlil said. “It’s just good to have someone who truly understands what you think and thinks the same way or can just comprehend in general. Talking to her about it and listening to music artists with her, it’s just so exhilarating because it’s like you’re talking to yourself but you get a different perspective.”