Girls Tennis Team Falls Short of Historic State Title, Undefeated Season

Valley+Girls+Tennis+team+hoist+District+Trophy+after+defeating+Loudoun+County+5-3.+

Valley Girls Tennis team hoist District Trophy after defeating Loudoun County 5-3.

Patrick Stevenson, Editor

Jamestown High School fought off Loudoun Valley in the Girls Tennis State Championship Thursday afternoon, squashing Valley’s undefeated season and hopes of the program’s first State Title. 

The team began its lengthy playoff run against Tuscarora in the Dulles District semi-finals, thumping them 5-0 in straight sets. Following the win, the girls advanced and faced Loudoun County in the Dulles District Final, in which they handily defeated them 5-3. 

Following this grueling stretch of games, junior Carleigh Leavitt detailed how the team prepared for the next slate of games in the 4A Regional Tournament. 

“The team prepares by hosting longer practices in the week and hosting practices on the weekends as well so that we can get as much play time in as possible, ” Leavitt said. 

This preparation showed  results as Valley defeated John Handley in the Regional semi-final and advanced to the Regional final. 

Heading into the 4A Regional final the team had to endure 90-degree weather, Covid and the general pressure of the playoffs. 

Valley showed they shine under pressure as they bested Sherando High School 5-2 to capture the illustrious 4A Regional Championship. 

For Leavitt and the team, this game and the victory that came out of it, was the highpoint of the season.

“The best moment of this year’s season has been the regionals victory. I know the whole team really wanted it and it was such a happy moment, and I know none of us will ever forget it, ” Leavitt said. 

With their victory in the Region final, Valley advanced to the State semi-final against Blacksburg. They battled a talented Blacksburg team in 95-degree heat, coming out on top 5-3 and advancing to the State final. 

Valley traveled to Newport News on Wednesday in preparation for their Thursday match against Jamestown High School. They fought hard in their singles matches but lost 4-2, sending them to the doubles matches, where they would have to win all three games. 

While senior Luci Hansen and junior Lauren Allen came out victorious in the first doubles match, juniors Sarah St. John and Carleigh Leavitt mounted a roaring comeback that came up just short and ended the Vikings season. 

Valley advanced the furthest their program ever had in the playoffs, and even without a State title to their name, Leavitt believes what her team accomplished was nothing short of historic. 

“We worked so hard to get to where we are this season,” Leavitt said. “Despite how different it was with Covid, I would not trade this season for the world.”