Lucas Leigh: A Rider’s Perspective

Scarlet Fetterolf, Sports Editor

Though just a freshman in high school, Lucas Leigh has already discovered a unique and hair-raising passion: motocross racing. 

Defined as a “form of off-road motorcycle racing held on enclosed off-road circuits,” by Wikipedia, motocross is a dangerous sport. So dangerous, in fact, that it was ranked 28th in SportScroll’s list of the 30 most dangerous sports in the world. 

Leigh has already become an advanced rider, and  his skills have been honed through lots of practice, and although dirt biking may seem simple to an outsider, it is anything but that. 

“Whenever I tell people that I ride dirtbikes as a sport, they usually say ‘that’s easy’ or ‘you just sit there and go,” Leigh said. 

Motocross racing requires lots of time, commitment and focus. Leigh juggles his schoolwork, intense practice time and just being a normal kid in expert fashion but admits that time management is quite a challenge. 

“Balancing school and riding is pretty hard,” Leigh said. “I have a set schedule that I go by every week that ensures I get enough seat time during the week while also having time for school.” 

In addition to making time for school and practices, the freshman must balance traveling across the country for big competitions. 

“As I got more serious into the sport, I needed more serious competition,” Leigh said. “I race all around the country as often as every weekend.”

To prepare for his major motocross competitions, Leigh takes time to reflect on his past successes so he can ride on the top of his game. He makes sure his bike is in top shape as well. 

“I prepare by reflecting on how everything felt with my bike, fitness, and how I performed,” Leigh said.. “If anything needs to be changed, I make sure it gets changed so I’m comfortable with how the bike is.”.

He’s a relatively new competitor on the motocross racing circuit, but Leigh has already set high goals for himself. 

“My goals for the future are to place in the top 25 at the big nationals and to make it to Loretta Lynn’s Nationals,” he said. 

Leigh will be attempting to qualify in various races throughout the winter and spring for Loretta Lynn’s. The competition is the biggest national motocross competition for ameuter riders, and it will celebrate its 40-year anniversary in August with a race in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.

Like so many others, Leigh began his sport at the beginning of the pandemic and has proven through his accomplished riding, he has caught the motocross bug. 

“I started riding and racing in 2020 when quarantine first started,” Leigh said.  “I got interested in the sport because I wanted something to do while quarantined, and I’ve just been hooked since.”