January 6th Committee To Begin Hearings

Mackenzie Bunn, News, Campus, & Media Editor

Over a year ago, the world was rocked by what happened at the Capitol on Jan. 6. The country was divided: Some hailed it as a peaceful protest; some dubbed it an insurrection; and some called up legislators for action.

Now, 17 months after their investigation was initiated, lawmakers will begin to reveal their findings to the public. The first forum is tonight at 8 p.m., kicking off one of three scheduled hearings.

The committee plans to cap out the hearings at six sessions, aiming to finish by the end of the month. Livestreams of the hearings will be available on the committee’s website, though several other major outlets including ABC, MSNBC, NBC, CNN and CBS plan to offer coverage as well.

Fox News, however, will only be delivering snippets of the hearings on an as-need basis during their regular shows, as well as post-prime time commentary at 11 p.m. Fox News’s sister network, Fox Business, has instead been given the task of offering live coverage

With plans to call on key witnesses of the event like Nick Quested and Caroline Edwards later tonight, the committee aims to encompass the extent of what happened that day in Washington, D.C.

“Some will say it’s time to move on from the January sixth insurrection,” Jan. 6 committee member and Illinois Congressman Adam Kinzinger stated in an opinion piece with USA Today. “But doing so means we have to learn from and address what happened.”