Funding for Free Meals in LCPS Ends

Faith Casey, Editor

Funding for free meals for all Loudoun County public schools has ended—meaning students and staff must now resume paying for their meals. Starting in 2020, Loudoun County public schools served free breakfast and lunch to students. This continued through the 2021-2022 school year. 

A federal program established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture provided schools with the funding to serve free meals during and immediately following the pandemic. This funding has been concluded as of the 2022-2023 school year. Now, meals will cost between $3.05 for elementary students and $3.15 for middle and high school students. 

In order to eat free, students have to be considered eligible. Schools with over 50% of students that qualify for free or reduced-price meals will make meals free for all students. Since Loudoun Valley is not eligible, students are having to pay for meals. Some students no longer buy lunch due to this switch.

Senior Alex Chinn said, “I personally prefer the free lunch. I actually switched over to packing lunch because the line’s so long with the one lunch block.”

Chinn thinks the long line is only worth the wait for free lunch. She also believes lunch is more convenient when free.

“Free lunch is a lot easier and accessible. More people were eating at Valley and not having to pack. It was convenient for me because I didn’t have to wake up in the morning and pack food,” Chinn said.

Senior Shelby Zech, thinks the priced meals are sensible. 

“I personally think it’s reasonable to make us pay for lunch since they aren’t making juniors and seniors pay for parking passes,” Zech said. 

Despite this, Zech has her own struggle with priced lunch. 

“Making sure your parents have enough money in your account for lunch is a real challenge,” Zech said. 

Some students have stopped buying lunch as a whole while others buy on occasion. Freshman June Plunnecke expressed she would probably get lunch more if it were free. 

“I’m fine with lunch costing money this year, but I really liked it when it didn’t,” Plunnecke said. 

Blue Ridge Middle School, where Plunnecke went to school last year, also had free meals. Last year, Valley switched to having one lunch block, while Blue Ridge had four blocks for lunch. 

Due to the one lunch block at Valley, buying lunch is different than at Blue Ridge, and the lunch line has drastically grown longer since the start of last school year.

June Plunnecke was asked whether or not she thinks free lunch at Valley would be overwhelming because of the one block. 

“Free lunch may be overwhelming with the long lines, and maybe you’re nervous you won’t get lunch before the bell rings,” Plunnecke said. 

Many students did not see this switch to paid lunch coming while some did. Despite whatever emotions they may be feeling or what situation they’re in, Loudoun Valley students are having to adapt to this change.