5 Minutes with Makenzie Mackey

Carly Smith

Varsity walk-in at the home game against Tuscarora High School on August 31. (#2, Makenzie Mackey)

Emma Vann, Media & Opinion Editor

Volleyball season has come to an end and junior Makenzie Mackey, who played as a defensive specialist, has been able to reflect on the volleyball season with their last game on Wednesday Oct. 26.

“I mean, obviously, I’m sad about the season ending, but it was such an insane season,” Mackey said. “I’m so grateful I got to play with people like Amy Wood and Macey (Gannaway) and Carly (Zimmet) and all the seniors. I’ve never played at the level of varsity like I have this year, so it was really crazy to get that experience. I feel like I’ve grown so much over the season.”

Mackey’s relationships with those on her team have grown from time spent together and having strong leaders on the court.

“They’re all so welcoming,” Mackey said. “I think they just did a really good job of welcoming everyone, and I never felt like I didn’t belong. It was just nice to have that kind of secure feeling.”

Now that the fall high school season is over, the club volleyball season will soon begin.

“During the offseason, I’m probably gonna try out for some clubs. A lot of the older girls have recommended a lot of good clubs that I wouldn’t have tried out for before if they hadn’t told me about them,” Mackey said.

After the loss at the semi-final district game, Mackey had some final thoughts on the season.

“I think, after last night, because we lost, it was really sad,” Mackey said. “But we played a good game. It was a good game. It just wasn’t in the cards for us that night, and that’s just what it is. We just played together, and it was fun to just all be together with nothing to lose.”

Group huddle during a timeout at the home game versus Tuscarora High School on August 31. (Carly Smith)

Q&A

Q) What is your favorite position to play?

A) “So actually, I would have said hitter last year, but over the course of the season, I love playing back row now, so I would say DS, back row.”

Q) What is your favorite college volleyball team to watch?

A) “Texas.”

Q) Do you have a volleyball player that you like to watch or look up to?

A) “Texas team, the biggest player you’re gonna see at Texas is Logan, Logan Eggleston and she’s such an amazing player to watch, it’s insane.”

Q) What is your favorite jungle theme to see at games?

A) “Honestly, Blackout. Blackout is my favorite. Just seeing one solid color in the jungle is just so exciting every time.”