Trump to rerun in 2024 presidential election

MacKenzie Bunn, News, Campus, & Media Editor

At a rally in Palm Beach, Florida on Tuesday, Former President Donald Trump announced his intentions to run for reelection in 2024.

“This is not a task for a politician or a conventional candidate,” Trump said. “This is a task for a great movement that embodies the courage, confidence and the spirit of the American people.”

The news comes amidst a flurry of controversy surrounding Trump and Florida Gov. Ron Desantis (R), and the ongoing debate on whether he should remain the Republican party’s unofficial figurehead. 

Midterm projectors’ anticipated “red wave” fell short—a faux pas widely attributed to Trump’s support and his less-than-perfect reputation.

“Well I think if they win I should get all the credit, and if they lose, I should not be blamed at all,” Trump said on Election Day. “But it will probably be just the opposite.”

Despite attempts to distance himself from the party’s humbling election results, Trump’s approval ratings have seen notable lows: a survey organized by AP VoteCast found that 54% of over 90,000 responders viewed him unfavorably.

Regardless of competition on the horizon, family members pulling out of the spotlight and a dour legacy while in-office, Trump remains optimistic with his campaign.

“The only force strong enough to defeat the massive corruption we are up against is you, the American people,” Trump said. “We’re going to bring people together—we’re going to unify people.”

This is not a task for a politician or a conventional candidate, this is a task for a great movement that embodies the courage, confidence and the spirit of the American people.

— Former President Donald Trump