Senior rundown: what you need to know

Various important dates are coming up, seniors need to start marking their calendars.

Faith Casey

Seniors are now receiving caps and gowns in their English class in preparation for graduation June 9.

Faith Casey, Editor

Capstone

For all seniors, the last day of school is May 30, meaning school does not end when capstone ends. The grading period for seniors ends May 26. Capstone begins for seniors on May 15, ending on Thursday, May 25 with a Capstone Expo from 5-6:30 P.M. in the Main Gym. For the Expo, students will present their Capstone projects in a gallery-walk style with a tri-fold poster. This event is mandatory for all Capstone participants.

Award Ceremonies

The Evening Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, May 31 at 7 P.M. is to celebrate students receiving local scholarships. Seniors must receive an invitation to attend, and are expected to show. Family is allowed to attend. 

The Senior Awards Assembly is on Thursday, June 1 at 9:30 A.M., and all graduating seniors will attend. This ceremony will be located in the Auditorium, and the attending family must check in with security, providing an ID, at the A2 school entrance. 

Graduation

Mandatory graduation rehearsal will be held on Thursday, June 1, the same day as the Senior Awards Assembly. From 9:30 A.M. to noon (time may change as the day progresses), students will report to the Auditorium. 

The official graduation ceremony will be held on Friday, June 9. The gates will open at 7 A.M., and the ceremony will begin at 9 A.M. Students must report to the Auditorium by 7:30 A.M., though the ceremony will take place in the Leonard Stadium at Loudoun Valley. Severe weather conditions will move the ceremony into the Main Gym, with notices being sent out no later than 5 A.M. via phone and email.

For family attending, each graduating senior will receive eight green tickets to distribute to guests. These tickets will be distributed during the mandatory graduation rehearsal. In the case of severe weather, each senior will receive two yellow tickets to give out where other guests are welcome to sit in Cafeteria or Auditorium to watch a live broadcast of the ceremony. 

Proper attire is required. Seniors must dress business professional for the ceremony in their cap and gown, with no shorts, jeans or flip flops allowed. Tassels will be worn on the right side then moved to the left during the ceremony. 

Extra Senior Events

The senior class picture is scheduled for Thursday, June 1, the same day as the graduation rehearsal and Senior Awards Assembly, from 11 A.M. to 12 P.M (time may change as the day progresses). Located in the Main Gym, seniors must be in cap and gown with no extra props such as signs or flags allowed in the picture. 

Following the senior class picture, the senior class picnic will also be held on Thursday, June 1 at noon at Leonard Stadium. 

Contact Alex Orton via the senior class Remind or email with any extra questions. Dates are subject to change, pay attention to any announcements or Remind messages.