The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

The Viking

UPDATES

The Viking

The Viking

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Which do you prefer?

To watch the full video, click the link in our bio!

By Kenzie Farrey, Kate Miller, and Megan Fennelly
...

Music honors society Tri-M held a benefit concert on April 16 for senior Ginny Hooper, who was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic adrenocortical cancer earlier this school year.

Read more about this event at the link in our bio.

By Ash Woerner | Editor
Image from @lvhstri_m
...

Girls, Boys Basketball Excelling in Regular Season

Reese Woomer

A successful start to both the boys and girls basketball season has led the teams to second in the Dulles District. Boys basketball is currently 10-5 and girls basketball is 10-4. 

The boys basketball team is led by senior Landen Conrad. Conrad is averaging 21 points a game. Last Thursday, Conrad scored his 1000 career points. 

Head coach Chad Dawson pinpointed a couple areas of focus for the team to be successful.  

“The keys to success this season are rebounding, running the ball, defense, and controlling the court since we aren’t a very big team,” Dawson said. 

Senior Joey Danielson said the team’s pre-game rituals have helped them succeed this season.

“We have a playlist that we listen to, and we do some stretches in the hallway,” Danielson said. “But, most of the time, it’s a couple of guys just getting us hyped up and getting us ready to go so we’re all in a good mood and loose and ready to play before the game.”

On the other hand, girls basketball is unique. They don’t have one leading scorer every game, making  them dangerous. 

Assistant coach Stewart Wilcox identifies what has made the team so successful.   

“Cohesion and communication are keys to success,” Wilcox said. “I think bringing energy every night and the intensity allows us to overwhelm other teams that don’t quite have as much intensity and energy as we have.”

Senior Alex Phillips said the team’s pre-game rituals have brought them success this season.     

“We always have the same songs that we dance to in the locker room before the game, which helps to bring our energy up,” Phillips said.

Both teams will face crosstown rival Woodgrove, on Feb. 2 at home. Last time they faced each other, boys won 70-55 and girls lost 40-86. 

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.