The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

The Viking

UPDATES

The Viking

The Viking

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Which do you prefer?

To watch the full video, click the link in our bio!

By Kenzie Farrey, Kate Miller, and Megan Fennelly
...

Music honors society Tri-M held a benefit concert on April 16 for senior Ginny Hooper, who was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic adrenocortical cancer earlier this school year.

Read more about this event at the link in our bio.

By Ash Woerner | Editor
Image from @lvhstri_m
...

The Ins and Outs of IB

MacKenzie Bunn

Initially founded as a non-profit organization in Geneva, Switzerland in 1968, there are now thousands of IB schools worldwide. Middle schools, high schools and even elementary schools across the world have become certified IB World Schools. 

Now, Valley is joining them. Through this program, Skvarch hopes to build students’ sense of global awareness, research and deeper understanding of concepts. 

“It’s really focused on skill building, like fantastic learning for students overall that are going to help them be prepared for their next steps,” he said. 

The program itself is separated into two levels: individual IB courses and the IB Diploma program. IB courses are open to all students entering 11th grade and generally span two years. 

These courses include IB English Language and Literature, IB language courses, IB Global Politics and even IB arts courses like IB Theater and IB Music. Skvarch plans to introduce even more IB classes in the coming years. 

IB courses have both internal and external assessments each year, with the format varying based on the class. Internal assessments are graded by the course’s teacher, while external assessments are graded by IB teachers from around the world.

Assessments are composed of a series of tasks. This sometimes includes field research, projects or performances. 

“That’s what I think is what the program is about, finding your passion, finding something that you really care about and doing a project on it,” Bill McQuail, math teacher and previous IB teacher, said. 

The hope, according to Skvarch, is to prepare students for their future education and career by introducing them to the kind of projects they’ll be doing later in life. 

“I’ve always enjoyed helping people find ways to do whatever it is they do better,” Skvarch said. “I want to see people grow; I want to see communities grow.” 

Beyond individual IB courses, however, is the IB Diploma Program, which allows students to graduate with a highly-regarded IB Diploma, valued above even an Advanced Placement Diploma.

“It’s biting off a lot,” English teacher and member of the IB pedagogical leadership team Shea Perry said. “And it’s gonna be great. But it’s a commitment.” 

The IB Diploma program begins in freshman year with the Pre-IB program, where students will be required to take AP Government and 2 years of language in order to earn the necessary credits for the diploma.

Over two years, IB Diploma candidates will take six IB courses from six separate groups (Studies in Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics and The Arts), as well as the Diploma Program core.

The Diploma Program core consists of a Theory of Knowledge course — which is only available to diploma program students, an extended essay and a Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS) project. 

According to the IB website, the Theory of Knowledge course is a philosophy-based class teaching students to investigate and question the nature of knowledge itself. The extended essay is a 4,000 word, self-directed research paper assigned to diploma program students. 

Starting this year, the CAS project will replace LCPS’ senior capstone project. Although the CAS project is similar to capstone, this shift will allow for more freedom in what kind of activities seniors can pursue for their project. 

The CAS project is available to all students, but is mandatory for IB Diploma candidates. 

The IB Diploma program requires a packed schedule of seven IB classes and challenging assignments, leaving little room for electives and extracurriculars  — rigorous beyond any paths currently offered at Valley.

Donate to The Viking
    $525
    $1000
    Contributed
    Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.