Students’ Formula One Hopes and Fears

Image from @F1 on Instagram
Image from @F1 on Instagram

Engines roar like thunder and the air vibrates with anticipation. At the start line, the world’s most advanced racing machines and their daring drivers await the signal. This isn’t just another car race, it’s Formula 1, where a fraction of a second is the difference between glory and defeat. 

Another season of Formula 1 racing revs its engine, beginning March 2, and the students of Loudoun Valley are excited to see how their teams will compare.

Image from @scuderiaferrari on Instagram

Sophomore Richie Ring expressed her excitement for Ferrari, the only team other than Red Bull to win a Grand Prix last season

“I love Charles Leclerc and Carlos (Sainz) ‘ cause they’re awesome and I’m excited to see how they perform in the season,” Ring said. “I can’t give up on my original team, so Ferrari for life.”

Image from @mcclaren on Instagram

Meanwhile, Lando Norris experienced his strongest season in 2023. With McLaren, he scored 205 points and placed on the podium seven times.

Senior Lima Naimi hopes that the McLaren driver continues to have a successful season. 

“I think Lando has got to be my favorite driver,” Naimi said. “He’s got a lot of potential if he’s in the right car.”

Image from @mcclaren on Instagram
Image from @redbullracing on Instagram

Red Bull joined Formula 1 in 2004 and won their first Championship only two years later. The team has proven to be a great success, especially with Max Verstappen as their driver. 

Junior Liam Salter shared his feelings on reigning champion Max Verstappen. 

“Max Verstappen is Max Verstappen. I mean, man’s kind of a legend,” Salter said. “He just came in here and he’s just winning everything, you have to give him his props for that.”

Image from @redbullracing on Instagram

Max Verstappen, a driver for Red Bull Racing, dominated last season by winning nineteen of the twenty-two races and the Drivers’ Championship.  

While his accomplishments are no small feat, many find that Verstappen’s success makes the races predictable and less exciting to watch. 

“I just want an underdog to win,” Naimi said. “I get it and I totally support Max Verstappen and whatnot, but I want someone else to win, it’s that simple.” 

Junior Andrew Palmer is frustrated by Verstappen’s skill. 

“Yeah, yeah, he’ll probably be great,” Palmer said. “He’s annoying, I can’t stand it because he’s too good.”

Some students, like Ring, have strong feelings about another season domination by Verstappen.

“I’d say ‘Max Ver-Stop-him,’” Ring said. “I think I’ll scream at my TV a little bit and go to the car makers of Formula One and say ‘make better cars’ because it’s his car and his ego.”

As the season moves forward, the question on everyone’s mind is: which driver will come out on top?

The second race of the season is on March 9 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and will bring us one step closer to an answer.

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.