The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

The Viking

UPDATES
  • June 3Showings of Pygmalion June 8 and June 9 in Courtyard
  • June 3Final CAS Projects to be Presented by June 6
  • June 3Senior Graduation to be Held June 15
  • June 3Field Day to be Held June 10

The Viking

The Viking

Poll

Which AP class is the most difficult?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

What are you looking forward to this summer?

Part 2/2

By Kate Miller, Jenalee Hastings, Megan Fennely, and Maddie Calhoun
...

What are your summer plans?

Part 1/2

By Kate Miller, Jenalee Hastings, Maddie Calhoun, and Megan Fennely.
...

Trump Found Guilty: A Quick Breakdown

Nightjar Hubbart
Drawn depiction of Donald Trump, referenced off photos by Seth Wenig

On May 30, Donald J. Trump became the first former president of the United States to be convicted of felony crimes in American history. He was found guilty on all 34 charges against him in relation to a $130,000 hush money payment to Stormy Daniels before the 2016 election. The payments to Daniels, a porn star, were made to silence her regarding a sexual encounter she had with Trump in 2006.

Here’s a quick breakdown:

The Trial

Held in Manhattan, the hush money case was overseen by Judge Juan Merchan. Stormy Daniels testified against Trump, describing her sexual encounter with Trump in explicit detail. 

Another key witness, Micheal Cohen, testified as the most direct contact between Trump and the charges. As Trump’s former personal fixer and the one who made the payments, he gave a detailed view of the situation and Trump’s involvement. Trump’s defense relied on discrediting these witness accounts.

When the closing arguments concluded and jury instructions were issued, the 12 person jury deliberated for over two days — roughly ten hours. Unanimously, they found Trump guilty on all charges11 invoices, 12 ledger entries, and 11 checks 

The Response

Immediately after exiting the courtroom, Trump addressed the press waiting outside, calling the trial “disgrace” and “rigged” — staying true to his repeated accusations of a biased judge and jury pool during the course of the trial.

Trump’s campaign leaned into the guilty verdict as an advantage. Referring to Trump as a “political prisoner,” they have urged voters to donate to his cause. WinRed, the payment processor for Republican campaign donations, crashed not long after he was convicted.

Trump is expected to appeal the verdict, a process that could take many months or even years. It is unlikely that the appeal will be settled before election day — November 5. 

As for the Biden administration, they responded to the verdict by urging people to vote, claiming, “There’s one way to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office: at the ballot box.”

What’s Next?

Trump’s sentencing is set for July 11, just four days before Republicans will officially nominate him at their national convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The charges potentially carry up to four years behind bars, though the sentencing could also include fines, restitution or probation. Trump’s multiple violations of the gag order could also play into his sentence.

In the time between the verdict and the sentencing, Trump can speak to the press, travel and continue his campaign freely. The gag order that prevented him from discussing witnesses, jurors and the judge’s family members has been removed.

And the answer to the million dollar question: Trump can still run for president. The Constitution doesn’t bar a felon from running for or being sworn in as president of the United States.

However, the legal turmoil for the former president isn’t over yet. Trump still has three other felony indictments in progress — although this is likely the only one that will come to a close before the November election.

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.