Safe Night Halloween

Sarah Kelly, Feature Editor

Safe Night Halloween occurred on Oct. 27 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.. Various school organizations helped to host by running games or other activities for the trick-or-treating kids.  

Safe Halloween is a community event. Families with young children can come, walk around the halls and trick or treat safely inside the school building.

— Ally Hubbard, senior and NHS member

These clubs included Future Health Care Professionals, Theater, LVSI, DECA, MUN, NHS, German Club, Mu Alpha Theta, Partners Club, SCA, Spanish Club, Culture Club, Spirit Club, Dungeons and Dragons, NSHS, Educators Rising, FCA, French Club and Marching Band. 

“Safe Halloween has been a major event for quite some time,” Hubbard said. Unfortunately, she explained, COVID-19 and its aftermath added complications to the event, making it impossible to host in 2020 and 2021.  

That is, until this year.  

“I have fond memories of the last Safe Night Halloween during my freshman year,” Hubbard said. “I wanted to bring back the event so that future classes will see what it is like and get an idea for this tradition.” 

There are various festivities around Halloween, whether it be school parties or movie nights with friends. However, Halloween can also facilitate dangerous environments for some families. 

Studies have shown the increased dangers of trick-or-treating on Halloween; the rate of pedestrian accidents ending in death was 43% higher on the day of “tricks and treats”. 

“Safe Halloween is necessary to give families and children an opportunity to enjoy Halloween in a safe and controlled environment,” Hubbard said. 

Moreover, the event provided children from risky neighborhoods a place to get candy without the hazard of going door-to-door in the dark. 

“Each family has their own qualms about trick-or-treating,” she said. “Whether that be due to climate concerns or for the safety of their children, it’s important to offer this event to make trick-or-treating more equitable.” 

Staff like history teacher Michael Vereb might believe Halloween isn’t more dangerous than everyday life, and a specified “safe” Halloween might not be needed. However, it is still an enjoyable experience. 

I don’t think it’s necessary, I just think it’s fun.

— Michael Vereb, history teacher

Safe Night Halloween ended up being a hit for all in attendance. 

“Everyone had a great time,” senior, NHS member, Mu Alpha Theta and NSHS leader Ashley Levine said. “Kids were running around with smiles on their faces; they definitely got buckets full of candy.” 

Levine did note some of the miscommunication errors between the organizers and trick-or-treaters about the flow of the stations, but the event was very successful.

“There was a good number of volunteers that helped make sure everything that night was as fun and safe as possible,” Levine said. 

Though Levine will be graduating this year, she still is excited for NHS members to organize another Safe Night Halloween next year.

“It is always a great experience for members and kids alike,” she said. “NHS can always take it a step further and come up with new and great ideas with the next generation.”