Wayde Byard indictments

MacKenzie Bunn, News, Campus, & Media Editor

Since his time as public information officer started in 2000, Wayde Byard had been an icon of sorts to students and faculty across Loudoun. His time came to a close, however, after being placed on administrative leave in light of felony charges for perjury.

Byard’s offense occurred when he testified in August of 2022. Currently, no additional information pertaining to his statements have been disclosed, but as a Class 5 felony, Byard could face a $2,500 fine, up to 10 years in prison or one year in jail depending on the courts’ specifications.

Acting Superintendent Daniel Smith signaled the end of an era to long time Loudoun residents in an email sent to staff and parents

“Wayde Byard was placed on leave effective today, in accordance with LCPS Policy and Virginia State Code,” Smith said to parents. “Thank you for your patience and understanding through this period of rebuilding and refocusing, as we work to find solutions to support our students and community members, earn their confidence, and expand opportunities for all students to learn and reach their full potential.”

Staff received similar information, but with an addendum acknowledging the hectic nature of the school system and calling attention to faculty counseling resources.

“This is a stressful time for all of our staff,” Smith said. “I want to assure everyone that I value and support the work you do for our students, especially during such a tumultuous time.”