The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

The Viking

UPDATES

The Viking

The Viking

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Which do you prefer?

To watch the full video, click the link in our bio!

By Kenzie Farrey, Kate Miller, and Megan Fennelly
...

Music honors society Tri-M held a benefit concert on April 16 for senior Ginny Hooper, who was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic adrenocortical cancer earlier this school year.

Read more about this event at the link in our bio.

By Ash Woerner | Editor
Image from @lvhstri_m
...

JV and Varsity Softball Teams Look Forward to the New Season

While winter sports are coming to a close, spring sports are just beginning. The softball teams held their JV and varsity tryouts Feb. 19. 

Initially, varsity coach Mike Elias was concerned about not having enough members for the JV team.  

“We lost a bunch and we gained a bunch and we ended up at 26,” Elias said. 

To increase attention towards the team, current players asked around the school to see who wanted to play in the upcoming season. Even the JV assistant coach Stewart Wilcox helped out.

“Wilcox, he put a slide into the morning announcements and he’s trying to recruit players for JV as well,” sophomore Reese Woomer said. 

As a current player, Woomer is excited to see the team do well this season. She is dedicated to the sport and has been playing since she was around five years old. 

“I just fell in love with it,” Woomer said. “It’s my escape from life. And your teammates are just like chosen sisters” 

Together, the current players and coaches were able to gain enough new players for the spring season.  

One of these new players is freshman Audrey Kielhorn. Kielhorn is excited to join the JV team with her friend, Brianna Skinner.

“I wanted to do something with her. Like a sport that we could just mess around in,” Kielhorn said. “Obviously, we’ll take it seriously. But it would be fun to do a sport with a friend.”

While there was concern for the JV team before tryouts, this season is looking up, and the team is excited for what’s to come.

“Already, just after a couple days of tryouts, we’ve got a really happy group of people,” Elias said. “There’s gonna be a lot of camaraderie and a lot of fun.” 

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.