The Student News Site of Loudoun Valley High School

The Viking

UPDATES

The Viking

The Viking

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM

Which do you prefer?

To watch the full video, click the link in our bio!

By Kenzie Farrey, Kate Miller, and Megan Fennelly
...

Music honors society Tri-M held a benefit concert on April 16 for senior Ginny Hooper, who was diagnosed with stage IV metastatic adrenocortical cancer earlier this school year.

Read more about this event at the link in our bio.

By Ash Woerner | Editor
Image from @lvhstri_m
...

An A-Lister’s Atmosphere

The carbon cost of celebrity lifestyles.
Canva design by Ash Woerner

In the world of celebrities, their frequent travel for concerts, film shoots and vacations is not hard to miss. But this high-flying lifestyle comes with a heavy environmental price tag. Recently, Taylor Swift’s travel habits have brought light to the large carbon footprint associated with the celebrities of today. 

Air travel, specifically luxurious private jets, have become contributors to global warming. A study by the Environment Transport Association shows that private jets release up to 14 times the carbon dioxide per passenger than commercial planes. 

Since private jets have fewer passengers to carry, the carbon footprint per flier is much higher than the typical person flying economy. Right now, the aviation industry is only responsible for 2% of global carbon emissions. This percentage is already increasing due to the rise in private jet usage. 

With the environmental impact of these flights in mind, the high dollar travel choices of Taylor Swift have recently sparked controversy. Swift has been named the number one celebrity CO2 polluter two years in a row. 

In total, Swift produced 8,250 tons of carbon dioxide in 2023 just from her two jets. The graph below shows the trips Swift has taken with her jets dating back to June 2023.

Although Swift’s music tours and work-related events require an immense amount of travel, it’s important to consider sustainable living choices. Celebrities can find ways to balance their demanding work schedules with the extreme need to lessen their carbon footprint. Supporting eco-friendly travel practices or participating in carbon offset programs are great ways to start.

Brought to you by

Donate to The Viking
$525
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Loudoun Valley High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and publishing costs.